Starting a Business

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Starting a new business in Loveland is a multi-step process that can involve multiple city departments.  Please use this as a resource tool only to assist you on your new business venture and to help answer common questions. 

City Departments

Department Description  Phone Number   Address
Sales Tax Department  Sales Tax License 970.962.2708 500 E Third St Suite 110
Utilities Division  An authorized person needs to contact the utilities division by phone or in person if the business is responsible for payment of city provided utilities.


500 E Third St Suite 100
Building Division

New commercial business, Contractors License, Remodeling a Business Site, Building Permit


Anyone who is considering opening a business should always check with the Building department based on the location of the new business i.e. the address of the building, prior use, possible alteration of existing structure, etc.

970.962.2505 410 E Fifth St
City Clerks Office Tree Trimmers License, Vendor's License (both mobile & primary), Pawnshops, Games of Skill, and Liquor Licensing 970.962.2000 500 E Third St Suite 230
Fire Prevention  Fire Code & Occupancy 970.962.2537 410 E Fifth St 
Planning & Zoning  Home Occupation License (if business is operated out of a residence), Business Zoning 970.962.2523 410 E Fifth St
Economic Development Assistance programs for small business development, creative entrepreneurship and technology incubation and acceleration. 970.962.2561 500 E Third St Suite 310
 Business Signage  Business Sign Permits and questions 970.962.2523  410 E Fifth St


Where to Register for a Trade Name:

If you are a sole proprietor or general partnership and will be doing business under a name other than your own legal name(s), you must register your trade name(s) with the Colorado Secretary of State.

Colorado Secretary of State
1700 Broadway Suite 200
Denver, CO 80202


Where to apply for a Federal Tax ID Number (FEIN):

Service ALL forms of legal structure, except sole proprietors with no employees, must obtain a Federal Employer Identification Number (FEIN). 

You can obtain your FEIN by:

  • Mailing a completed SS-4 form to IRS EIN Operation Unit Philadelphia, PA 19255.

  • Calling 800.829.4933 Monday through Friday 8am-10pm (your time zone).

  • Faxing a completed SS-4 from to 215.516.3990

The SS-4 federal tax form is available at under forms.

Where to register for a Colorado Business License:

If you will have sales, and/or employees, you must register your business with Colorado Department of Revenue.  You must use form CR0100, “Colorado Business Registration.” You can obtain your Colorado Business Registration by:

  • Mailing a completed CR0100 form to Colorado Department of Revenue, 1375 Sherman Street, Denver, CO 80261.

  • Calling 303.238.3278 to request a form.

  • Deliver a completed CR0100 form in person to 3030 S College Ave., Fort Collins, CO 80525.

The CR0100 Colorado Business Registration form is available at

Business Support & Resources:

The Loveland Business Development Center (LBDC) offers no-cost, confidential consulting services, business workshops and networking opportunities for aspiring entrepreneurs and existing businesses.

5400 Stone Creek Circle
Loveland, CO 80538


The Colorado Small Business Development Center Network (SBDC) is dedicated to helping existing and new businesses grow and prosper through free, one-on-one consulting and no- or low-cost business training programs.

320 E Vine Drive #303
Fort Collins, CO 80524


Where to apply for a Larimer County License:

Larimer County Sales Tax
200 W Oak Street Suite 4000
Fort Collins, CO 80521