Jayhawker Ponds at River's Edge Natural Area
1st Street & Taft Avenue
Located at the intersection of west 1st Street at Taft Avenue. Parking is available at the Centennial Park location (just across 1st Street to the north of Jayhawker Ponds).
- Fishing Dock (ponds stocked by the Colorado Division of Wildlife)
- Walking Path/Recreation Trail
- Handicap Accessible
Please see the Parks & Recreation Facilities Map HERE.
Hours of Availability:
The hours for this specific area are from sun-up to sun-down. This differs from the other City of Loveland parks which are open from 6:00am-10:30pm.
Park & Open Space Rules & Regulations:
The following rules and regulations have been established by the City Parks and Recreation Department pursuant to Chapter 12.40 of the Loveland Municipal Code.
These rules and regulations apply to use of all Park Lands, Recreation Trails, and Open Space/Natural Areas (referred to below as “open space”) owned and/or operated by the City of Loveland:
1. All posted rules and regulations must be obeyed.
2. No glass containers or bottles in the parks.
3. No Open flames (such as candles, tiki torches, etc.) except in park provided grills. No open flames are allowed if fire ban is in effect. No gathering or cutting firewood.
4. Noise ordinance strictly enforced (amplifiers, stereos, etc.) by the Loveland Police Department. Violators may be ticketed/fined, or removed from premises at the discretion of the LPD.
5. Alcoholic beverages are not allowed, without Parks and Recreation Department approval.
6. Pets must be on a handheld leash and under human control at all times. Please pick up after your pet. Exceptions: Dogs trained to assist visually or hearing impaired individuals are allowed in all park areas, but must be kept under direct supervision.
7. Horses (except police) are not allowed on parks, recreational trails, or open space.
8. Motorized vehicles (except authorized) are not allowed outside of established streets and parking areas on park lands, recreational trails or open space.
9. Smoking is prohibited, except in designated areas.
10. Open fires and camping are prohibited.
11. Discharge or use of firearms, projectile weapons, or fireworks is prohibited
12. No littering.
13. Graffiti or markings on park lands, recreation trails, or open space or on any improvements located thereon, are prohibited
14. Hours of operation for park lands, recreation trails and open space may vary by location and must be observed as posted. Information on specific hours of operation is available at 970-962-2727 and on the City’s website.
The following rules & regulations have been added for the Jayhawker Ponds area specifically. Please note:
- Swimming, wading, boating, float tubes on the north pond, ice fishing, bow fishing, or ice skating are NOT permitted.
- Boats are NOT allowed. Float Tube Fishing permissible on South Pond ONLY.
- Collecting, removing, destroying, or defacing any natural or manmade object is NOT permitted.
- All Colorado Division of Wildlife regulations are in effect unless otherwise posted.
- Feeding, trapping, hunting, or disturbing wildlife is NOT permitted.
- Discharge or use of firearms, projectile weapons, or fireworks is prohibited
- Fishing from or trespassing on island or adjacent private property is prohibited.
There are numerous fishing opportunities in and around Loveland.
This video shows more of the fishing options available to you: