Big Thompson Canyon
Photo by WR Hansen USGS (8/1/1976)
The Big Thompson Floodplain was revised during 2005 and adopted in November 2006.
This page was created as a location to view resources in regard to floodplain administration issues within the the City of Loveland. Below are links to City of Loveland floodplain maps of the Big Thompson River and information of the City's Early Flood Warning System.
If you want to develop in the floodplain or if you want to know in which flood zone you are located, please contact:
- Kevin Gingery, Stormwater Engineering Manager at 962-2771 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chris Carlson, Civil Engineer at 962-2774 or email at email@example.com
Big Thompson River - newly adopted floodplain maps
Lake Loveland - newly adopted floodplain maps
- Plate 1/Index Map [PDF]
- Plate 2 [PDF]
- Plate 3 [PDF]
- FEMA Floodplain Lake Loveland Documentation [PDF]
Also, if you are considering building in the 100-year flood fringe of the Big Thompson River, please download the Application for a Floodplain Development Permit and review the City of Loveland's Municipal Codes links below for more information.
The Stormwater Utility has installed an Early Flood Warning (EFW) System in seven critical locations around the Loveland community. Information is reported automatically using the Automated Local Evaluation in Real-Time (ALERT) radio telemetry protocol to one local City base station where the information is made available to City staff and emergency response personnel.
Below is a map link indicating each Early Flood Warning System location as well as a link to the description of a typical Early Flood Warning System.
If you experience issues with any of the provided links, please send an email to Stormwater@cityofloveland.org.
- Flooding Hot Spot Map (Loveland flooding areas) [PDF]
- Application for a Floodplain Development Permit [PDF]
- Floodplain Building Code [PDF]
- Floodplain Regulations [PDF]
- Existing Residential & Commercial Structures within the FEMA Floodplains [PDF]
- River Corridor Protection and Management Fact Sheet [PDF]