City Right-of-Way Permits

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Engineering Office: 
Public Works Administration Building
2525 West 1st Street
Loveland, CO 80537

Office Hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

Due to COVID-19 response, most of our employees are working remote. During this stay at home order,  the permit review process has been extended to ten (10) days.  Thank you for your patience.

Inspection Staff will be available Monday through Friday until 4:00 p.m. to answer questions regarding ROW Permits.

Any permits submitted after 4:00 p.m. will be reviewed the next work day.

ROW and encroachment Permits can be emailed to
or fax to 970-962-2908.

Permit/Form Purpose

Right-of-Way (ROW) Permit Application [PDF]






















Q: What is required to obtain a Right-of-Way Permit?
A: In order to grant a Right-of-Way Permit, the City of Loveland must receive the following:

  1. Complete application signed by the party responsible for the work
  2.  Approved certificate of liability insurance
  3. Copy of the traffic control plan
  4.  CDOT State Highway Utility/Special Use Permit if applicable

All items listed above must be submitted with the application. Incomplete application packages will not be considered for review.

Q: What are your insurance requirements?
A: Approved certificate of insurance may be submitted annually with coverage as follows:

  1. The permittee shall carry and maintain in full effect at all times a commercial general liability policy, including broad form property damage, completed operations contractual liability, explosion hazard, collapse hazard, underground property damage hazard, commonly known as XCU
  2.  Not less than $1,000,000 each occurrence for damages of bodily injury or death to one or more persons
  3. Not less than $500,000 each occurrence for damage to or destruction of property
  4. Not less than $1,000,000 in comprehensive automobile liability
  5. Workers compensation insurance as required by state law
    Click here for an example

Q: I have already submitted a certificate of liability insurance for another project. Do I need to submit a new one with each application?
A: Our office keeps a copy of each certificate on file until its expiration date. If we have a current certificate for your company, you will not need to submit another one. If you are unsure whether your most recent certificate has expired, please call our office at 970-962-2623.

Q: Whom can I call for questions about my traffic control plan?
A: Contact the Traffic Division at 970-962-2750 for any questions.

Q: When is a CDOT permit required?
A: A copy of a CDOT permit is required for all work conducted within the state highway right-of-way including the following locations where they are part of US 287, US 34, SH 402, or SH 60:

  1.  Buchanan Avenue (US Highway 287)
  2.  Cleveland Avenue (US Highway 287)
  3.  Eisenhower Boulevard (US Highway 34)
  4. Garfield Avenue (US Highway 287)
  5. Lincoln Avenue (US Highway 287)
  6. 14th Street SE (State Highway 402)
  7. 42nd SE (State Highway 60)

If you are unsure whether you will need a permit from CDOT, their regional office may be reached at 970-350-2163.

Q: Where do I submit my complete application package?
A: Applications may be submitted via email at or in person at 2525 W First Street.

Q: How long does it take to get a permit approved?
A: The City requires a up to five (5) business days for the approval process, not including the day of submittal. Projects that require extensive traffic control or lane or street closures will require additional review time.

Q: How long is a permit valid?
A: Permits are valid for 90 days, but the assigned inspector should be notified with any changes to the planned start or completion dates.

Q: How do I check the status of my application?
A: Call our office at 970-962-2524 and choose option #5 for street and sidewalk development and construction.

5 Year Rehab Map [PDF] City of Loveland Street Rehabilitation Map, last 5 year history
Existing Street System [PDF] Map of existing street network showing arterial and collector streets.

Construction Drawing

Requirements [PDF]

Permits for new utilities require detailed construction drawings for the installation, please see the PDF form more information
Street and Travel Lane Closure Requirements [PDF] Prior to a Right of Way permit being approved for a travel lane or complete street closure the Applicant must provide specific information, please see the PDF form for the requirements.
Street Closure Brochure [PDF] Read for details of responsibility when closing a road or lane in the right-of-way
Revocable Encroachment
Permit Application
Required for obstruction or encroachment upon any street, alley, sidewalk, or public right-of-way (including but not limited to a fence, barrier, post, railing or seating) Encroachment permits within the Downtown area may be subject to the Encroachment Permit Design Guidelines [PDF]

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer