In partnership with Garney Construction, Loveland Water and Power (LWP) will be working to expand the Wastewater Treatment Plant located at 920 Boise Ave. The long-awaited $32M expansion project will completed in four phases. Construction will begin in May 2017 and completed by September 2019.
Wastewater Treatment Plant (WWTP) Expansion Project Goals:
- Increased regulatory requirements - In accordance with new State permit limits, the plant effluent to the river must meet very low limits for phosphorus and nitrogen by 2020.
- Increase capacity to meet population growth - When all work is complete, the WWTP will be re-rated from 10 million gallons per day (MGD) to 12 MGD allowing for an additional 10 to 15 years of growth for Loveland residents.
- Replace aging infrastructure - Including renovation of the existing secondary clarifiers, improvements to the existing anaerobic digesters, and replacement of the headworks screening equipment.
|Project Phase||Scope of Work||Projected Start Date*||Projected Finish Date*|
|Phase 1||Preliminary Planning||January 2015||June 2015|
|Phase 2||Final Design||July 2015||April 2017|
Construction - Part 1
|May 2017||December 2017|
Construction - Part 2
|August 2017||September 2019|
*Dates are subject to change.
- Update 4/2017: Press Release: Expansion Project to begin at the Loveland Wastewater Treatment Plant.
- Update 5/2017: Blog: The Future of Loveland's Wastewater Treatment Plant
- Update 7/2017: Phase 3 of the project is 20% complete.
- The rehabilitation and protective coatings work continues inside Secondary Clarifier No. 3.
- The removal of the east sludge drying beds are complete in order to make way for the new maintenance building.
- Work continues on the under-slab utilities and foundation for the new maintenance building
- Excavation and installation continues on the 30” sewer pipe re-alignment in preparation for the new Digester facility.
- Update 8/2017: Phase 3 of the project is 41% complete.
- The excavation, bypass pumping, installation of pipe and manholes for the 30" diameter north Boyd sewer interceptor realignment is complete.
- The maintenance building underslab utilities are complete as well as the water and sewer connections to the new building site. The slab foundation has been placed and the CMU block wall installation has begun.
- Demolition of yard piping is underway along with the demolition of the old digesters and maintenance building
- The installation of the new mechanism and coating system for Secondary Clarifier 3 is complete. Startup and testing is underway to bring that treatment process back online.
Construction at the Wastewater Treatment Plant began in May 2017. These activities have been captured in a monthly time-lapse video update. The June 2017 update is available below.
Special Projects Manager and Project Manager for the Wastewater Treatment Plant Expansion Project